FAQ Menu
  • How It Works

  • Registration Costs & Services

  • Record Keeping

  • RV Financing

  • Legality

How It Works

How fast can all the arrangements be made?

Typically, the first thing you will need in any purchase is to have the LLC set up with the Montana Secretary of State. We use a Priority Filing with fax confirmation when setting up your Montana LLC. This means that we will have your LLC in place in no more than 2 business days!

How much time will it take to register my vehicle, once I have an LLC?

As soon as your LLC is set up, our Customer Service department will contact you regarding the next steps. You will receive a package of LLC documents (typically via email) and directions for each document. Those documents need to be completed and returned to our office before the registration can be processed. Once the documents are in complete and have arrived at our office, your plates should be delivered in 3 to 5 days via Priority Mail. Expedited service is available for an additional fee.

How do I get my RV license plates?

License plates are mailed to you via USPS Priority Mail. This is a 3 to 5 day guaranteed service. Your plates are shipped out of Red Lodge, Montana. Plates can be shipped as quickly as overnight, if needed. We do ask that you pay for the additional shipping costs associated with this service.

Does my vehicle have to go to Montana?

No, your vehicle does not have to go to Montana! Because Montana has no requirements for vehicle inspections, all of the paperwork associated with registration, titling, and plate renewal can be done via mail, fax, email, or online.

Can this work for me if I already own my vehicle?

Yes! We can work with vehicles that you already own.

Registration Costs & Services

What does the Tax Free RV service cost?

Montana LLC Registration, First Vehicle Registration & Title: $895.00 – This service includes statutory agency for the first calendar year, generating your articles of organization, filing your articles with the Secretary of State, filing fees and the creation of your operating agreement. We will generate all of your legal documentation, prepare the registration package, submit your package for registration and license plates and ship to wherever you would like.

How much are the actual RV licensing fees?

RV license fees are determined based on the body type of the RV. Motor home fees are based solely on the year of the vehicle, and travel trailers are based on the length. The cost of the registration of an RV can be as low as $161, and is no higher than $351(including Priority Mail shipping charges).

Are there any additional costs?

No. Any additional costs would be because of additional services requested by you! Examples would be additional vehicles registered to your LLC, or expedited shipping.

Are there any service fees after my LLC is set up?

Yes. There are two things you can expect to pay for each year – the LLC renewal, and the registration renewal. Each January we will invoice you $140 for the renewal of your LLC. That fee includes us continuing to be your service provider for the next calendar year, the creation of your Annual Report filing for the Secretary of State, the State filing fee, and basic mail forwarding on behalf of your LLC. Annual registrations are billed directly by the State. Your cost is the exact amount shown on the Montana registration renewal card.

Record Keeping

What is in my Company Book?

  • Professional Binder with your Limited Liability Company name
  • Articles of Organization for the LLC
  • Operating Agreement
  • Company Resolution to Purchase your RV
  • Company Resolution Authorizing Operation of your RV
  • Certificate of Membership Interest for each member of the LLC
  • Attractive glove box envelope for your important papers
  • Space to add any other paperwork you may want to keep with you
  • How do I know when to renew my license plates? Won’t the renewal card go to my LLC address?

    We will remind you! As part of our service, we will send you an email reminder at the beginning of the month when your registration is due for renewal. Then, when the renewal cards arrive from the State, we will also forward them out to you via first class mail. If you choose, you can renew your plates before the cards even arrive – our email to you will have directions for renewing through our office, over the phone with the County, and online.

    Who gets the title to the vehicle?

    In Montana, the owner of the vehicle holds the title. The title to your vehicle will be sent to our office (your LLC’s address). We will scan a copy for our records, send you an email to let you know it’s on its way to you, and mail it to the shipping address you provide us! If you have a lien on the vehicle, the lien holder will get a separate lien record sent directly to them from the State.

    RV Financing

    Is financing different if I purchase my RV with an LLC?

    Yes. Not all lending institutions will process loans for an LLC that purchases a personal vehicle, like a motorhome or travel trailer. These loans are hybrids of commercial and consumer loans, so you will want a lender that understands how it works. One lender that works with Montana LLCs is RV Financing. You can contact them at 1-888-929-4424. If you have an existing lender that will work with you, contact our office to get additional information on questions you will want to ask before finalizing the loan. If your lender has questions, you can also ask them to contact our office at 1-888-441-5741.

    My bank approved financing if my personal name is on the title with the LLC. Is that okay?

    Unfortunately, you personal name cannot appear on the title to the vehicle – even if your LLC is also listed. Each individual or company who applies for a vehicle title in Montana must prove that they are a resident of Montana. We can provide documentation showing that the LLC is legal set up in Montana with the Secretary of State. However, because you personally are not a resident of Montana, you will not be able to be listed on the loan. The good news is, there may be some flexibility with the loan paperwork. If your lender will allow you to write the loan contract showing the LLC and you personally as guarantors on the loan, but still have the vehicle registered and titled to the LLC only, we can work through the rest!

    My bank/dealership says they can’t finance me if I use an LLC. Are there other options?

    Absolutely! We can recommend a financing company to you (RV Financing). You can also look into loan options that might include personal lines of credit and home equity loans. These types of loans generally do not require you to list the bank as a lien holder on any property purchased with the money, and may leave you the freedom to have the RV titled and registered to the LLC.

    My lender is asking for a long list of LLC paperwork. Can you help?

    Yes we can! We have prepared a variety of paperwork for lenders. Please call or email us with the requirements, and we will be happy to provide you with the paperwork; or refer you to another resource where you can get the requested paperwork. We want to make you and your lender both comfortable with the transaction!


    Is registering my RV this way legal?

    Absolutely! If you meet your State’s conditions this is a completely legal arrangement. Literally thousands of happy customers have taken advantage of this unique, legal opportunity. Please call our office and we will be happy to provide you with additional information regarding your particular state of residency.

    Will this RV sales tax savings opportunity work in my state?

    Conditions vary from state to state, but virtually every state’s statutes make this opportunity legal. It is important that if you have questions regarding your situation, you contact an attorney licensed in your state of residency to determine your specific requirements.

    How do states determine if you meet their required conditions?

    TaxFreeRV is not aware of any current state programs for verification.

    Can I get a ticket for not being listed on the RV registration?

    Tax Free RV will provide you with a Resolution to Operate to keep in your glove box. This document can be used to show that the LLC has authorized you to operate the vehicle.

    Can I speak to an attorney?

    Yes – in fact we encourage it! You will need an attorney licensed in your state of residency in order to determine how the program can work for your specific needs. Give them our toll free number to contact us: 1-888-441-5741